Monday, January 30, 2012

Super Dutch Experience #46: Dutch Directness

#46: Dutch Directness. One thing about the Netherlands that I have noticed more and more lately, is the "no bullshit" attitude that most of the people here have. I have always been one to speak my mind, and I think that is one of the best qualities about myself, but that isn't to say that it hasn't put me in some VERY tricky situations before. That being said, my upfront personality is nothing compared to that of the average Dutch person. People here are not afraid to speak their minds, and it is a beautiful thing. Friends aren't scared to make fun of you to your face for everything you do, and people aren't scared to say exactly how they feel about specific situations. If they don't like something, trust me, you will know. If they think you look fat, trust me, you will know. If they think you do something strangely and want to make you fun of for it, trust me, you will know it. Of course, if you take things too personally, then the Netherlands might not be a place for you, but if you've got thick skin, then hop on a plane and head on over here because trust me, you will fit right in!

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I found your blog when I Googled "Dutch Directness." Your thoughts on the subject are so true, and also similar to what I have experienced with having Dutch in-laws. I referenced this post on my blog: http://redtulips.wordpress.com

    I will keep reading, your blog is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! I'm glad there is someone out there who can relate to what I'm thinking here :]

    ReplyDelete